Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Ultrasound Update!

So this morning I had an ultrasound with Maternal Fetal Medicine.  Babies are measuring good.  Our boy is measuring around 2 pounds 4 ounces and our girl is measuring 2 pounds 5 ounces.

On the ultrasound though, they found a spot on our son's brain.  It's about 1.0cmx1.3cm.  It was not present on his previous ultrasound four weeks ago.  The MFM was trying to verify if it was an artifact (a glitch on the ultrasound) but was unable to confirm this.  It was recommended that I schedule a fetal MRI so take a look at his brain to try and determine what it is.

She told me it could be an artifact, a viral infection, a bleed or a tumor.  The pediatric radiologist will perform the MRI and she is married to the pediatric neurosurgeon so they will both look at the MRI and determine what it is and if it needs to be attended to.  My OB will also perform an infection blood panel to see if it's something viral that caused the spot. 

Best case scenario it is nothing.  Worst case is our little guy will need brain surgery as soon as he is born and we will have to deliver at a different hospital where they neurosurgeon and his team will be waiting to take care of him. 

So I am just waiting for the hospital to call and set up the MRI, which should take about an hour.  I hope to have it done next week and to get answers quickly.  I'm staying away from Google because I know it will just scare me to death.

If you can keep our son in your prayers I would appreciate it.

1 comment:

  1. Try not to worry. From what I've seen in my groups, spots on the brain are not uncommon and are usually nothing. Thinking of you! <3

    ReplyDelete